Sharing the Joy....

Many people ask me if I like being a makeup/hair artist. Normally I answer back with a quick "yes", but truthfully that doesn't really cover the half of it. I don't "like" my job, I LOVE IT! Why?...well if you were in my shoes you would know exactly what I meant.
Even though I'm a makeup/hair artist, I wear a variety of other hats in my life as a mother, daughter, sister, wife, artist, teacher, beauty expert and a business woman. All of these elements add a lot of flavor to the mix, so I just thought to myself "you've logged a lot of hours on this interesting journey of yours, so you might as well share the ride". So I am! That will be the only way for you to understand what I love about my profession and why I love living in the moment....

1/02/2010

Are Makeup Primers Necessary?

It’s hard enough to get going in the morning without adding another step. So is it really necessary to spend an extra 5 minutes on makeup primer?

Well, it depends on your skin. Most primers are made of a combination of cyclomethicone and or dimethicone, which are silicone derivatives. These ingredients are designed to help your makeup go on more evenly, and “grab” on to your skin so that the makeup lasts longer. If your skin is “normal” (not dry and flaky nor very oily) and your foundation lasts all day, then you probably don’t need a primer.

However, there are two situations where a makeup primer can help you look better.

If your skin is dry and flaky, it can be hard to apply foundation evenly, since it tends to concentrate in the dry patches and ends up looking blotchy. Powder looks even worse, since it settles into fine lines and wrinkles, especially by the end of the day. Unlike moisturizer, which can leave a greasy residue that makes it difficult to blend foundation into the skin, primer smoothes the flakes and leaves a soft, silky surface so your foundation or powder glides on evenly. One of the first products to hit the market was Smashbox Photofinish Primer, which is still a favorite of some of the top makeup artists. It fills in fine lines and pores, and your makeup won’t budge, smear, or melt into your creases, even when it’s hot and humid. Smashbox recently introduced different colored primers (green is supposed to neutralize red complexions; lavender is for sallow skin; apricot is supposed to lighten dark undereye circles) but I’d recommend sticking with the original or light formulas, which are clear. The colored primers are more pricey, and don’t really even out your skin tone. A newer product is Rimmel Fix & Perfect Foundation. For best results, apply sunscreen, let dry for 10 minutes, then apply primer and makeup.

Oily skin can benefit from a mattifying primer, which can reduce shine, minimize the appearance of pores, and help your makeup stay put all day long. Try Estee Lauder Idealist Pore Minimizing Skin Refinisher, a light serum that absorbs quickly and leaves a matte surface. Make sure you wait a few minutes before applying makeup, to allow the serum to absorb completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment